Summary : Transferring Outlook data file (.ost) from one computer to another computer is quite easy and doesn’t require much efforts. In this blog, we have explained the step-by-step procedure to transfer Outlook data to a new computer or Outlook profile. The guide will also help you extract and transfer data from an inaccessible or orphaned Outlook data file (.ost) with ease.
There are situations that may require you to transfer offline Outlook data to a new computer. For instance, you have recently upgraded your system or switched to another Windows system. However, transferring Offline Outlook data file (.ost) to another computer is quite simple as long as you have access to your Outlook profile and mailbox.
If you’re using the Outlook application with POP account, it creates PST file to store the mailbox data. In such a case, you can transfer Outlook PST file to a new computer and then import the PST file into your Outlook account on the new system without much difficulty.
However, if you have configured Outlook with an IMAP Server or Exchange mailbox account, Outlook creates an Offline OST file to store all mailbox items on the local system. But unlike PST, you can’t just copy and move the Outlook OST file. An Outlook OST file can only be accessed with the same account (from which it is created) and on the computer that is used to create that Outlook account.
So, if you want to migrate Outlook Offline OST file to new computer, you need to first convert the mailbox data stored in OST file to PST file format. You can then easily import the PST file into the Outlook account on a new computer.
Steps to Transfer Outlook Data to a New Computer
Let’s understand the step-by-step procedure to export, transfer, and import offline Outlook OST file from one computer to another. For convenience and to make the process easier, we have divided the entire process into four steps:
- Export mailbox items to PST file
- Transfer PST file to new computer
- Create a new Outlook profile on new computer to access mail items from converted PST file
- Import the converted PST into the existing Outlook profile on new computer
Step #1: Export Outlook Mailbox Mails & Items
Considering that your Outlook account is working properly and the OST file is accessible, you can export the data from OST file to PST by using the Outlook’s in-built Import and Export wizard. Follow the steps below:
- Open and log in to MS Outlook.
- Go to File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- From the Import and Export Wizard window, select Export to a file and then click Next.
- When Export to a file window opens, select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Select the mailbox folders and mailbox items that you want to export. Also, check the ‘Include subfolders’ checkbox and then click Next.
- Click on the ‘Browse’ button, select a location to save the PST file.
Note: You can also connect a USB or external hard drive to the computer and select it as a save location for the PST file. This helps in moving the file to a new computer.
- Once the process is completed, click ‘Finish’. When a password prompt pops up, click ‘OK’ without entering the password.
This will save all the emails and other mailbox data from Outlook OST file in the PST file format, which you can easily import into an Outlook profile, set up on another computer.
Important: You can’t use the Outlook’s Import and Export Wizard, if the OST file is orphaned/inaccessible or the Outlook account is inactive/not working. However, you can easily convert such inaccessible OST files to PST by using the Stellar Converter for OST software. The software can also help export encrypted Outlook offline data file (.ost) to PST. To know the step-by-step process for converting OST file to PST by using the software, read How to Convert OST File in to Outlook PST file?
Step #2: Copy OST File to New Computer
After converting the Outlook data from OST file to PST file on the existing Windows machine, move this Outlook PST file to another computer. To do so, you need to transfer the PST file to any external storage media. Now, connect this storage media to another computer and then copy the PST file on the computer’s hard drive.
Step #3: Set up an Outlook Profile to Access PST on New Computer
You can import the PST file into any Outlook profile on new computer. However, you may also create a new Outlook profile on your computer to import or access the converted PST file.
The steps are as follows:
- Press Windows + R, type Outlook.exe /manageprofiles.
- Click ‘Add’ and then enter a profile name.
- Now provide account information and credentials to login.
- Select Existing Outlook Data File and then browse to select the PST file you transferred to your computer.
- Click ‘Next’ and then ‘Finish’ to complete the wizard.
Step #4: Import the Converted PST File into Existing Outlook Profile
After moving the PST file (converted from OST) on a new computer via an external storage device, you can import this PST into Outlook. First of all, ensure that MS Outlook is installed on the machine. Now, follow the given steps to import PST to Outlook.
For MS Outlook 2013 and Later Versions
- Click File > Open & Export > Import/Export to open the Import/Export wizard.
- Select Import from another program or file, and click Next.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Click Browse to select the .pst file that you transferred and choose desired options. Then click Next.
- Enter the password, if prompted and then click OK.
- Select the mailbox folder where you want to import the mail items and then click ‘Finish’.
- Outlook will import the mail items in your .pst file.
For MS Outlook 2010
- In MS Outlook, click on the File tab.
- Click on Open and then select Import.
- In the Import & Export wizard that appears, select Import from another program or file and click Next.
- Click on Outlook Data File (.pst) and then click Next.
- Click on Browse to navigate to the PST file location.
- Under the Options section, select Do not import duplicates. You can select the appropriate option, if you want Outlook to replace or replicate items that are already existing in Outlook.
- Click Next.
- Select folders that you need to import or select the top of the hierarchy to select all the folders in PST file.
- Click on Finish to complete the import procedure.
For MS Outlook 2007 and Earlier Versions
- Launch MS Outlook and click on the File tab.
- Next, click on Import and Export option.
- Select Import from another program or file and click Next.
- Click on Personal Folder File (.pst) and click Next.
- Specify the name and path for the PST that needs to be imported and click on Next.
- Then, select the folder that you need to import or click on the top of the hierarchy to select entire PST.
- Click Finish.
By following the above steps, you can easily transfer the Outlook data from one computer to another Windows computer.
Like PST files, there is no direct way to transfer Outlook OST or Exchange mailbox data to a new computer. You need to first convert the OST to PST by using the Outlook Import and Export wizard or a third-party OST converter tool, such as Stellar Converter for OST. The software can also convert orphaned or inaccessible Offline Outlook data file (.ost) files to PST. This professional converter can export encrypted Offline OST files to PST in an error-free manner. Once the OST file is converted to PST, you can easily transfer Outlook data to a new computer by importing the PST file into any Outlook account or profile.
Stellar Converter for OST Rating by MVP: