How to Open GroupWise Archive Mail Items Without GroupWise Server
GroupWise is a platform powered by Novell, which offers messaging and collaboration. It allows you to send emails, set calendars, manage personal information, send instant messages, manage documents, maintain contact details, etc. It offers almost all features similar to Outlook. Other than this, it also comprises desktop client software for all major operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. Its latest version ‘GroupWise 2014 R2’ is much advanced than its previous ones.
Although it offers advanced and reliable features, you still might require converting GroupWise Archive Mailboxes into Outlook PST, Exchange, and Office 365 without using GroupWise server. Typically, this can happen when you are moving to another machine which isn’t connected to the GroupWise server, or switching jobs, or need to access an old mailbox which doesn’t exist on the GroupWise server anymore.
There are several ways to perform this conversion, both manual and software-based. To access GroupWise Archive Mailboxes through Outlook you are required to convert GroupWise mailbox into PST format.
Migrate GroupWise Archives to Outlook
To open GroupWise mail in Outlook, you have to follow two major steps, which are as follows:
- Create GroupWise Archive Directory or archive emails of GroupWise
- Download GroupWise unlimited mailboxes/archives in Microsoft Outlook.
Creating Archive Directory within the GroupWise email client
Follow these steps to create an archive directory within GroupWise email client:
- Login to your GroupWise account
- Go to Tools -> Options
- Select the Environment option
- In the Environment interface, go to ‘File Location.’
- In ‘Archive Directory’ box, type in the location of the file, or type in the desired name
- Then, a pop-up, i.e., ‘Do you want to create the directory’ will appear on the screen, Select ‘Yes.’
- Select ‘No’ for the next pop up, i.e. ‘Do you want to move the contents of your existing archive.’
- Then click OK from the dialogue box to close the window.
Archive GroupWise Mailbox
To access emails in MS Outlook, you are advised to archive GroupWise emails using Archive directory. It makes the process easy and simple. Follow the steps given below to archive emails in GroupWise mailbox:
- Login to your GroupWise email client
- Make sure that you do have an Archive Directory, and visit the mailbox
- Select the email you want to move to archive from a single mailbox or multiple folders
- And then, choose ‘Move to Archive’ option
And your selected emails are archived. This procedure is quite simple in case of moving a single email, but if you require moving more than one mail, this process can be a bit slow and can take a few minutes. To verify whether the emails are transferred to archive or not, you can go to File menu, Open the archive, and view the emails to make sure that your mails are transferred.
Downloading GroupWise Inbox emails in Outlook
The second major step for accessing the mails in Outlook is to download GroupWise inbox emails. It can be done by following the manuals steps listed below:
- Open GroupWise located under ‘Microsoft AD Network’
- In Inbox, visit ‘New Folder (GW Archives)’
- Go to menu, and click File -> Open -> Import
- From Import and Export Wizard, select the action ‘Import from another program or file’ followed by a click on the Next tab
- In the ‘Import a File’ section, where it is asked to ‘Select file type to import from’ you have to choose ‘Outlook Data File (.PST)’ and click on the Next tab
- In the ‘Import Personal Folders’ section, give a name by which the PST file should be saved, check the option ‘Do not import duplicates,’ and then click on the Next tab
- After that, in ‘Import Outlook Data File’ you need to check the ‘Include subfolders’ box, select ‘Import items into the same folder,’ and click on the Finish tab
By following the above steps, your GroupWise archived emails will be downloaded in Outlook and will be ready to open without using GroupWise server.
Prefer an easier method?
If you find the steps mentioned above technical and lengthy, and are looking for an easier way out, consider using a specialized GroupWise to PST converter software application. Such an application not only makes the process much faster but also eliminates the risk of data loss during the conversion process.
We recommend using Stellar Converter for GroupWise for performing the conversion. The application allows you to export all mailbox items like emails, contact, address book, attachments, calendars, documents, etc. to PST format. The Technician edition of the software also directly exports GroupWise mailbox to Office 365. Powered by advanced conversion algorithms and equipped with an easy-to-use GUI, this product is sure to solve all your conversion problems in a few clicks.
GroupWise email conversion involves very easy steps, but you should be very careful while performing these. One wrong step could lead to the permanent loss of your precious data. That is why, instead of using these manual methods, people tend to use reliable automated tools for conversion. It involves less risk of losing your data. There are plenty of software available online for data conversion to Outlook, Exchange, or Office 365. But while using these tools, make sure to choose the right and trustworthy tool. You should also be having some basic technical knowledge to carry out migration without any risk.