Summary: The Microsoft Outlook error code 0000000E is an indicator of the Outlook data file or OST problem. When an OST file gets damaged or becomes inaccessible due to a system crash, malware or virus intrusion, or any other reason, Outlook fails to access the OST file and synchronize the mailbox items. As a result, Outlook displays the error 0000000E when you access your account. In this guide, we’ve discussed various methods to fix the error 0000000E and restore your Outlook account and mailbox items.
Microsoft Outlook uses Outlook data files, such as OST and PST, to store the mailbox data. When Outlook is configured with Exchange, Outlook.com, Office 365, or IMAP email server, it creates an OST file at a default location on your Windows PC to store a synchronized copy of mailbox items.
The OST file allows users to work offline. The offline changes are synchronized with the server mailbox as soon as the system connects to the internet.
However, the OST file is vulnerable to damage due to events, such as:
- System crash
- Abrupt shutdown
- Hardware failure
- Virus or malware intrusion
- Large or oversized Outlook OST file
- Force close or abrupt Outlook termination
- Incompatible or faulty add-ins
- Deleted or disabled mailbox
As a result, Outlook OST becomes inaccessible and error 0000000E is displayed when you access your Outlook account. This can be resolved either by repairing the damaged or inaccessible OST file or recreating a new OST file. In this guide, we’ve discussed both methods to fix the Outlook error code 0000000E and restore the Outlook mailbox items without data loss.
Methods to Fix Outlook Error Code 0000000E
Before proceeding, create a backup copy of your OST file at another location. This will help you recover the mailbox items from the inaccessible OST file using an OST to PST converter software, such as Stellar Converter for OST, if the manual methods fail. This step is critical to avoid permanent data loss if something goes wrong.
Method 1: Repair the OST File
To repair the OST file, you can use the built-in ScanPST.exe or Inbox Repair tool from Microsoft. It is installed with Outlook and located in the Microsoft Office installation directory in the C:\ drive. Refer to our guide to find ScanPST.exe location in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007. You also need to locate the OST file.
Once located, close MS Outlook, launch the ScanPST.exe, and then follow these steps:
- Click ‘Browse’ and select the OST file.
- Click ‘Start.’ This will start scanning the OST file for the errors.
- After the scan, click ‘Repair’ to start repairing the OST file.
Note: During the repair, the ScanPST.exe tool may stop responding. This is normal. However, if it does not respond after a while, it is a sign of severe damage to the file and may be beyond its repair capability.
If the OST file is repaired successfully, launch Outlook and check if the error is resolved. If not, follow the next method.
Limitations of ScanPST
- It can’t repair OST files larger than 2 GB.
- It can repair OST file with minor damage only.
- It does not work when the OST file is encrypted.
Method 2: Recreate the OST File
To recreate the OST file, all you need to do is move or delete the current OST file from the default location. To locate and delete the OST file, follow these steps:
- In MS Outlook, go to File > Info.
- Click ‘Account Settings’ and then click ‘Account Settings’ again.
- Click the ‘Data Files’ tab and then click on your Outlook account.
- Then click the ‘Open File Location…’ button at the top.
- This opens the File Explorer window displaying your OST file.
- Now close MS Outlook and then either move this (cut/paste) to another safe location or delete it.
- Now open MS Outlook. A new OST file at the exact location will be created automatically. This should resolve the Outlook error code 0000000E.
Limitations of this Method
- Works only when your Outlook profile or the mailbox is active and not deleted or disabled from the Exchange or mail server.
- May cause data loss as it restores the last sync copy of the mailbox to the new OST file. Any changes made before OST stopped syncing are not restored.
- You may need to manually find the OST file if Outlook does not allow you to access the options.
We recommend that you check all email folders and verify that all mailbox items are restored. If you find missing mail items or this method fails to restore the OST file, follow the next method.
Method 3: Use OST to PST Converter Software
One of the easiest methods to fix such problems with the Outlook and OST file is to use an OST to PST converter software. When manual methods fail to fix the Outlook error code 0000000E, you can use Stellar Converter for OST to convert the inaccessible, orphaned, or damaged OST file to Outlook importable PST format. Later, you can import the PST file containing all your mailbox items, such as emails, contacts, attachments, etc., into any Outlook profile.
The software can help you resolve the Outlook error code 0000000E quickly and without any data loss. In addition, the software helps you recover the deleted mail items during the OST to PST conversion process. The steps are as follows:
- Download, install, and launch Stellar Converter for OST- Corporate edition.
- Click Browse to choose the damaged or inaccessible OST file. Use the ‘Find’ button to locate the OST file if you don’t know the OST file location.
- Click Convert. This will start the OST scan process and display the mail items in a three-pane preview window.
- In the preview window, you can click on any mail item to see its preview.
- Then select the mail items and folders and click ‘Save Converted File’ under the Home menu. This displays a ‘Save As’ dialog box.
- Select the PST option from the Save As window and then click Browse to choose a location where you want to save the converted PST file. Then click OK.
This will save all your mail items from inaccessible OST file to PST format, which you can import into your Outlook profile via Import Export Wizard. You may also install the Stellar Converter for OST – Technician edition to directly export the mail items from OST file to live Exchange mailbox or Office 365 user. You can use the software to fix all kinds of errors associated with damaged or inaccessible OST files and avoid data loss.
The Outlook error code 0000000E can be resolved quickly by repairing the OST (Offline Folder) file that stores the mailbox items. You may also choose to recreate the OST file by removing or deleting the current OST file to fix the Outlook error code 0000000E.
However, these methods can lead to the loss of mail items, as explained in this guide. A better way is to use an OST to PST converter software, such as Stellar Converter for OST, to restore the mail items from the damaged or inaccessible OST file and get back access to your Outlook account. You can download the free demo version and evaluate the software. The free version lets you scan and preview the inaccessible or orphaned OST mail items.