In Microsoft Outlook versions 2003 to 2019 you can get a prompt that states “Cannot open your default email folders. The information store could not be opened.” If you get this message, don’t panic as it can be effortlessly resolved.
It has also been found that this issue is mainly caused by a damaged Navigation Pane settings file or corrupt PST files, but it seems unlikely. It looks like a universal concern, but no one is aware of exactly why it occurs. As stated earlier, it can affect all versions of MS Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013 & earlier versions.
Other reasons for the error are:
- Running Outlook in compatibility mode.
- Deletion or corruption of the Outlook data file (.PST)
A corrupt PST file is another reason for Outlook Error: “cannot open your default email folders. The information store could not be opened”.
To repair your corrupt PST, Follow the steps given below:
- Hold down the Windows and F key to open the search dialogue box.
- Then, type “exe” in the search box displayed at the top right corner and press enter.
- Next, choose the “Local Disk: C” from the panel in the left and pick the Program files.
- After choosing the Program files, type “Scanpst.exe” in the search box.
- This helps you find the ScanPST.exe file. Open it, and you’ll get a pop-up. Select OK.
- The “PST Integrity Check” setup will open. Put a check in the “Repair errors” box and select “Begin Scan”.
- Scanning will start and can take some time based on the number of files and glitches.
- Finally, close all windows as the .PST file has been repaired successfully.
Procedure 2: Outlook operating in compatibility mode:
- Switch off the compatibility mode by navigating to Local Disk: C> Program Files> Microsoft Office> Office XX> Outlook.exe.
- Then, right-click on the “Outlook.exe” file, click on “Properties”, and move to the “Compatibility” tab.
- Next, uncheck the “Run this program in compatibility mode” box.
- Finally, click on “Apply” to successfully switch off the compatibility mode.
For Outlook issues such as “Cannot open default email folders”, “the information store could not be opened” & “the set of folders cannot be opened”, the best solution is to buy a software tool such as the Stellar Repair for Outlook, which repairs PST files and recovers Outlook mails.
There are many useful features of Stellar Repair for Outlook software. Here is a summary of what it can do for you:
- This software scans the corrupted PST file, and repairs and recovers all mailbox items. The restored email contents are saved as a new PST file that can be imported in Outlook.
- You can save repaired mails in PDF, HTML, RTF, MSG, and EML formats.
- The software can repair password-protected and encrypted PST files.
- You get the option of saving and loading scan outcomes saved with DAT file extension.
- The application can export repaired PST file in Office 365 format (this is offered only in the Tech Version)
- Save repaired PST into DBX and MBOX (Technician Version)
- Supports Microsoft Outlook versions 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019.
PST Repair from stellar can repair damaged and corrupted Outlook PST files. The damage may occur due to virus attack, sharing PST over the Network, large-size PST files, and other reasons. In addition, the program can retrieve emails from encrypted, and password protected PSTs, and also recover deleted emails. In fact, it can recover all mailbox items, including emails, tasks, notes, journals, calendars, and contacts, and restores all of them into a new PST file. This software utilizes robust algorithms to scan damaged PST files and finds recoverable data in them.
This tool helps to restore emails that you may have accidentally erased from the “Deleted Items” folder or your Inbox in Outlook. You may have purged them by mistake or lost them due to unscheduled system formatting. There’s no need to worry as Stellar Repair for Outlook restores the lost emails and attachments, and enables you to read them again.
Finally, Outlook PST repair software from Stellar can set right corrupted PST files of any size and extent of the damage. Thus, this platform is a cut above its competitors as it can work smoothly even with large-size PST files. After repairing the PST file, the application allows you to save the log report of the repair process in an accessible location. You can consult the saved report to review the recovery process anytime in the future.
To summarize, there is no need to worry if you get the error message “Cannot open your default email folders the information store could not be opened” in MS Outlook. Follow the methods suggested in this blog and if that does not work for you, use the Stellar Repair for Outlook software solution to resolve the issue quickly and efficiently and access the restored email files.