Summary: PS4 not turning on? Check out the primary reasons why your PS4 is not turning on and how to fix it. You can also download reliable data recovery software, such as Stellar Data Recovery Professional, to recover your game files. Get the software now!
PlayStation 4 or PS4 has been on the peak of gamers’ interest ever since it was launched (November 2013). People who are into video games love the PS4 as it is ubiquitous, powerful, and has one of the most modern game libraries compared to any modern console. Naturally, PS4 has a significant user base. But with a big userbase, challenges related to its functionality & features are typical.
Here, we are talking about ‘PS4 not turning on,’ one of the most common problems that its gamers are facing!
We have recently come across several technology forums, such as Reddit, PS5forum, etc., where PlayStation 4 users have reported this issue. The ‘PS4 not turning on’ is causing different problems, leading to queries, including:
- PS4 not turning on, white light
- PS4 not turning on, no light
- PS4 not turning on, blue light
- PS4 won’t turn on, but beeps
- PS4 won’t turn on with the controller
- PS4 power outage safe mode
- PS4 turns on, but no display
- PS4 won’t restart after the update
Irrespective of the problem you face with your PlayStation 4, you can fix it. Try out some effective DIY methods shared in this post to fix the PS4 not turning on the problem. However, before you move on, check out the common reasons behind this issue.
Why is My PS4 Not Turning on?
There could be several reasons due to which your PS4 may not be working or turning on, including:
- Dust clogging up the device
- Faulty power cable
- Faulty USB, HDMI cables
- Faulty Wall-outlet
- A software problem or technical glitch
Now that you are aware of what could go wrong with your PlayStation 4, you can move on to troubleshoot the problem.
How to Fix ‘PS4 not turning on’?
#1 Clean up the dust from your PS4:
In most devices, dust tends to pile up over time if the device is not cleaned regularly. So, it’s wise to clean all the dust from your PlayStation 4 and do it often, so that it doesn’t get clogged.
#2 Replace the Power Cable
Another culprit behind PS4 not powering on could be the power cable itself. Sometimes the plug can get loose from the wall outlet, and it can just kind of fall out or not be tight enough to hang in there.
Try reconnecting the power cable. And, if it still doesn’t work, try replacing the power cable and check if the issue has been resolved.
#3 Check USB and HDMI Cables
Apart from the power cables, HDMI and USB cables may also be faulty, causing the ‘PS4 not turning on’ problem. You may try using different USB or HDMI cables or plug them into different ports and wall sockets. You may also test these cables using a different system, such as a Blu-Ray player, and check if they are functioning correctly. If you find the cables are faulty, replace them and check if the issue is resolved.
#4 Check if the Wall Outlet is Faulty
Sometimes, the PS4 may not turn on due to a faulty wall outlet. To check the same, try a different outlet. You can plug it into a different one and see if that works. Also, make sure the power is tightly fixed to the outlet and the back of the PS4.
If you notice that your outlets are loose, not holding the plug, or not working at all, you will either need to replace the outlet or get an electrician to look at it.
If you can’t fix the ‘PS4 not turning on’ with the above methods, there may be a software or technical glitch with the PlayStation 4. Try to fix the issue by starting the PlayStation 4 in safe mode with the below-stated techniques.
#5 Try Power Cycling
- Turn off the PlayStation by pressing the power button and then wait until the power light stops flashing.
- Remove the power cable and leave the device for like 20 minutes.
- Reconnect the PlayStation and attempt to launch PS4 in Safe Mode.
#6 Restart PS4 in Safe Mode
- Press the power button to turn off the system on the front panel. (The power indicator will blink before turning off.)
- Once the system is off, press the power button again and release it after hearing the second beep. (You will hear the first beep on the first press and another about seven seconds later.)
- Now, connect the controller with a USB cable, and press the PS button on the controller to launch the PS4 Console in Safe Mode.
#7 Power cycle without your HDD
- Turn off your PlayStation system, remove the HDD and turn it on.
- Now, turn it off again, remove the system’s power cable, and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Reinstall the HDD and try to restart the system in Safe Mode, as discussed above.
#8 Rebuild Your PS4 Database!
If you still can’t fix ‘PS4 not turning on’, try re-building your PS4 database. However, re-building the database will remove all of your data on the HDD inserted in your PlayStation.
Afraid you will lose all of your games?
Don’t be! Try an efficient data recovery software, such as Stellar Data Recovery Professional to recover PS4 Game files. You need to remove your HDD from PlayStation 4 and connect it to a working Windows PC. Once connected, launch the software, select what to recover, scan the HDD, and recover the files. Watch this video to learn how to recover games from PS4 Not Turning On.
Now that you have recovered all of your PS4 game files, you can start re-building the PS4 database to fix the problem. It’s like a factory reset, intended to give your PS4 a fresh start. Below are the detailed steps:
1. Connect your PS4 console and controller with a USB cable.
2. Open your PS4 in safe mode by pressing the power button until you hear a second beep.
3. In the Safe mode window, you will see a list of options.
4. Select “Rebuild Database.” (See Image 1)
5. Once your database is re-built, turn on the PS4.
Hope this would solve the problem.
‘PS4 not turning on’ is mainly related to startup issues in PlayStation 4. To fix the problem, you may try out all effective methods shared in this blog, including replacing USB/HDMI/power cables, replacing faulty wall-outlet, power cycling, starting PS4 in safe mode, and re-building the PS4 database. However, as discussed, re-building the PS4 will remove all your data stored on the HDD. So, we would recommend you recover all PS4 game files with powerful data recovery software, such as Stellar Data Recovery Professional. If even a data recovery software fails to retrieve your game data, it’s time to take your PS4 to an authorized service center.