Summary: Are your JPG/ JPEG files are not opening or showing errors? Check out 9 ways to fix ‘unable to open JPEG file’ issue and view your precious photos again. The post also shares the best software to repair JPEG images, if they are showing error due to file corruption.
Are you unable to open JPEG/JPG photos in Photoshop or cannot view JPEG files in Windows 10? Or your Photo App does not open any JPEG images on Windows giving file system errors -2147219196?
Taken from any camera, transferred from any source or saved in any storage media, read on to know the best 9 ways to fix ‘Unable to Open JPEG file’ error on Windows computer.
Best Methods to fix error ‘Unable to open JPEG file’
- Update to latest Photo Viewer or Photos App
- Use Stellar Repair for Photo
- Go back to Photo Viewer of older version
- Rename your JPEG file
- Open JPEG photo in Paint
- Open JPEG photos in Image Editors
- Perform Clean Boot in your PC
- Use sfc/scannow in Command Prompt
- Perform CHKSDSK command
Method 1: Update to latest Photo Viewer or Photos App
If you are unable to open JPEG photos in Windows, update your Photo Viewer or Photos App. Updating the app usually fixes the bugs that prevent your JPEG files to open. You can update Windows Photo Viewer or Photos app automatically by updating your Windows.
Steps to update your Photos app on Windows 10:
- Navigate to Start> Settings> Update & Security > Windows Update
- Select Check for updates
- Check the Photo Viewer box andclick Install Updates.
- Restart the computer.
Method 2: Repair JPEG/JPG files
In situations when you are unable to open JPEG photos, Stellar Repair for Photo works best. It is a professional JPEG Repair software that fixes corruptions in JPEG/JPG files making them accessible. The software repairs completely unreadable JPEG files that are unable to open by any program. It fixes invalid JPEG file structure, corrupt header, corrupt JPEG data, unknown or invalid JPEG marker, etc.
Steps to repair JPEG files:
- Download and run Stellar Repair for Photo on PC/ Mac.
- Click Add File to add corrupt JPEG files.
- Click Repair.
- Preview the repaired photos and click Save Repaired Files.
- Select a location to save the JPEG files and click OK.
Method 3: Go back to Photo Viewer of an older version
Are you facing issues in opening .JPEG files in Windows 10 after upgrade? Several Windows 10 users complain that their JPEG images do not open in built-in Photos App after upgrading to higher version. So how to open JPG files in Windows 10?
You can always choose to go back to the older version of Photo Viewer and use it to open JPEG/JPG photos.
If you have upgraded from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, follow the below steps to get old Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10:
- Open Settings> System > Default apps.
- Scroll down and select Windows Photo Viewer.
- Exit Settings
Method 4: Rename your JPEG file
One of the simplest hack to access JPEG pictures that are not opening is to rename them without changing the file extension (.jpeg). Simply right click on the file and select rename.
Method 5: Open JPEG photo in Paint
Right click on the JPEG image file and select Open with Paint. If the JPEG photos opens in MS Paint, it means the file is not yet damaged. If it does not open and gives you an error message, then your JPEG photos have turned corrupt. A JPEG/JPG photo repair software is the assured solution to recover them in such a situation.
Method 6: Open JPEG photos in Image Editors
If your JPEG photos not opening in Photos App, try to view them in Image Editor programs like Photoshop, Picasa or Inkscape, etc. Open the JPEG photos with Image Editors and rename the JPEG file without changing the extension. This should fix error ‘unable to open JPEG file.’
Method 7: Perform Clean Boot in your PC
Clean Boot helps in detecting and fixing, if a third-party application running in the background on your system is causing the JPEG issue. It could be your anti-virus solution, system utility applications, or any other software. Clean Boot eliminates software conflict that occur due to installed applications on your system.
Steps to perform Clean Boot:
- Log on to the computer as an administrator.
- Type msconfig in start search. Press Enter. The System Configuration Utility window opens.
- Click on General > Selective Startup. Uncheck Load Startup Items box, check Load System Services and Use Original boot configuration box.
- Next click on Services Select Hide All Microsoft Services check box at the bottom. Click Disable all.
- Click Apply/OK and restart the computer.
Now try to open your JPEG photos to see if the error is fixed. To configure your computer in the normal startup mode, simply undo the changes made above.
Method 8: Use sfc/scan now in Command Prompt
If you are unable to open your JPEG/JPG photos due to any corruption or damage in files, it can be repaired with sfc/scan now (system file checker) in Command Prompt on Windows PC. This method fixes minor corruptions in JPEG/JPG photos.
Steps repair photos with Command Prompt:
- Type CMD in Windows Start box
- Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- Open the command prompt, type sfc/scan now and Enter.
- Once the repair and scanning process finishes, restart your computer.
- Now you should be able to open and view your JPEG photos.
Method 9: Perform CHKSDSK command
Sometimes corruption in your computer disk do not let you open JPEG/JPG photos. Performing CHKDSK command on Windows can help in such a situation. CHKDSK command scans the file system on a disk volume, scans for bad sectors and fixes the logical errors.
Steps to run CHKDSK from the command prompt in Windows 10:
- In Windows Start Menu, select Search, and type CMD.
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the search results list.
- Click Run as administrator.
- Log in as administrator.
- When Command Prompt launches, type the command: chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- Once process finishes, restart the computer.
Being unable to open JPEG files is an annoying and extremely common issue. If you cannot open JPEG files, try the above ways to fix the issue. You can also choose to bypass several other taxing troubleshooting ways like Clean Boot, and directly pick Stellar Repair for Photo to fix unable to open JPEG or JPG file system error. The software easily and quickly resolves ‘JPEG photos not opening’ issue in any media.