How to Resolve 'Excel cannot open the file '(filename)'.xlsx' Error of MS Excel 2007?

Author : Creative Team Updated on June 12, 2017

A common error message that an Excel user generally encounters when he tries to open a spreadsheet received in an email is:

"Excel cannot open the file 'filename.xlsx' because the file format for the file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

However, this error message is not limited to the Excel files that a user gets via emails. Instead, it is often encountered with commonly used files also. You may find that an Excel workbook, on which they were working for a long time, suddenly starts throwing this error message when you try to open it.

To find out the unique number associated with this error message, press 'CTRL+SHIFT+I' together. After that, you will get number besides the error message: "101590"

Causes: This error message is encountered when:

The file is not compatible with the version of Excel that is used.

The file has got corrupt.

Resolutions: You can try the below mentioned resolutions to rectify this error message and regain access to your Excel sheet.

Change the File Extension of Your Excel Sheet: Sometimes, the problem is seen due to the unsupported file extension of your Excel file. To check the support of xlsx extension, go to 'My Computer'. Browse 'Tools >> Folder Options >> File Types'. Check if 'xlsx' extension is included there or not. If not, then rename this file and change '.xlsx' to '.xls'.

Use 'Open and Repair' Option of MS Excel: For this, open Excel, and then go to 'File >> Open'. Select the file that you want to open, but do not double-click it. Go to the 'Open' drop-down provided in the 'Open' dialog box, and then select 'Open and Repair' option from there. This process repairs the corrupt Excel sheet and opens it normally.

Excel Repair Software: If none of the above mentioned resolutions is able to do any needful to you, then use of Excel repair software is recommended. Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair is one such software. It repairs corrupt excel sheet and restores entire data stored in it without altering its original formatting.

You can try any of the above mentioned resolutions to rectify this error message: however, Excel repair software is best-suited one for the case wherein other two methods fail to do any needful to you, so download the software to start scanning of your excel file.

free download

SUMON
April 9, 2014 11:50 am

john
February 5, 2015 10:28 am

Change the File Extension of Your Excel Sheet:
pls explain in wins7 way ..i cnt find the above option in wins7

Kevin
April 21, 2015 08:16 am

I THANK YOU SO MUCH! IT WORKED FOR ME. I copied and pasted the file to my desktop, right-click and changed '.xlsx' to '.xls'. AND BOOM I HAVE MY FILE BACK. ALL RESEARCH IS UPTO DATE.

May 19, 2015 03:23 am

Hi John,
Thanks for posting!!

To find this option in Windows 7, follow these steps:
Open the Control panel> Visit Default Programs> Check Associate a file type with a program.

Rahul
August 2, 2015 10:22 am

what if after doing all still excel file not opening and showing same error. all excel file in a particular folder are corrupted. new files and files in other folders are working properly. plz help how can i get my data

August 4, 2015 08:56 am

Hi Rahul,

Did you tried our Excel repair software? If not, then download the software from URL below and repair the corrupted file using the tool:

If still need any help, please let me know.

Nishad Mohammed
March 23, 2017 05:47 am

Hai, I have also a excel corrupted file , with these following way i cannot open that file , please help me

March 24, 2017 04:40 am

Hello Nishad,

Try to open your corrupt file in safe mode. Press Windows+R and write excel.exe /safe and click OK.

Good Luck!

Daniel
August 16, 2015 10:33 am

Hi, I downloaded Stellar but it seems it can not repair my excel file? The message shows:

Original file size: 0 KB
Total no. of sheets:1
Status: File is severly corrupted,cannot be previewed.

Preview process finished on Sunday, August 16, 2015, 06:28:01 PM

August 17, 2015 05:56 am

Hi Daniel

Thanks for contacting Us!

Before answering your question, we need the following details:

What is the version of Excel you are using?
Which version of Windows you are using?

Please provide the above details so that we can reply you suitable answer.

Kavin
September 10, 2015 05:36 am

My friend had suggested me to try Google Docs to open the file but it failed. I tried your suggested software and successfully open the file. It worked for me!​

Mike
October 19, 2015 09:37 pm

Hi there,

I downloaded your repair software but it could not recover my document. The error message was:

Original file size: 26 KB
Total no. of sheets:3
Status: File is severly corrupted,cannot be previewed.

I'm using Excel 2007 and Windows Professional 7.

Is there any way to recover my file?

Thanks very much,

Mike

October 27, 2015 05:00 am

Hello Mike,

Can you please sent the corrupt file for review purpose? Without corrupt file, it is very hard to say anything because your file is severely corrupted.

You can sent the file at support(at)stellarinfo(dot)com

Mike
November 4, 2015 09:47 am

Thanks Amit - I sent it to you on 28th October.

November 5, 2015 05:11 am

Hi Mike,

We have analyzed your file and found that your file is severely corrupted. Sorry to say but there is no hope of data recovery from this file.

Natasha
November 10, 2015 02:23 pm

Thank you very much!! I did the same thing Kevin did and it worked.
"THANK YOU SO MUCH! IT WORKED FOR ME. I copied and pasted the file to my desktop, right-click and changed '.xlsx' to '.xls'. AND BOOM I HAVE MY FILE BACK. ALL RESEARCH IS UPTO DATE."

cadald
November 13, 2016 01:17 am

whats the type u move..? the folder or the file..? how to change it..? is it with "renam" of right click..?

November 16, 2016 02:43 am

Hi Cadald,

These are the simple steps to change the Excel file extension. It is not about to change any folder. If you are unable to do it by the mentioned method then, follow these steps:

1. ​Open MS Excel, choose File option and Click on Options
2. Select Save tab
3. In Save Workbooks section, check the first choice 'Save files in this format' and choose the appropriate option
4. Click OK

Good Luck!​

November 20, 2015 03:34 am

Hi Natasha,

Good to know, it is helpful for you.

HAIDER
November 21, 2015 10:45 am

Hi Amit,
Tried everything. 1)in my folder option there is no tab of 'file type'
2) tried 'open and repair' - didnt work
3) option of changing .xlsx to .xls doesnt appear on right click
can you pls help?

November 21, 2015 11:14 am

Hi Haider,

To change the extension of file, just copy and paste the file at any other location and rename it with new name using .xls as extension.

Hope this information will be helpful. Do let us know for further query.

Good Luck!!

HAIDER
November 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks amit. tried that and renamed the file to abc.xls, now when i try to open it, it says abc.xls. xlsx cannot be opened.......(same warning).
i also tried using your software it says the fle is corrupt beyond recovery. however thats (seemingly) not the case since it is a freshly downloaded file.
thanks in advance for your help.

HAIDER
November 22, 2015 05:48 am

hi amit!! Any advise for me?

November 23, 2015 02:37 am

Hello Haider,

Can you please share the corrupt file for review purpose? Without corrupt file, it is very hard to say anything because your file is severely corrupted.

You can sent the file at support(at)stellarinfo(dot)com

Ajay Shaw
April 6, 2016 12:30 pm

my excel file showing error excel cannot open the file '(filename)'.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid , how can i resolve this issue please help. asap

April 7, 2016 03:59 am

Hi Ajay,

Have you tried all three methods mentioned in the article? If not then please try and share the result.

Waiting for your answer!

Thanks,
Amit

HAZARD
April 27, 2016 06:41 am

Still not working..

April 28, 2016 05:24 am

Hello Hazard,

Have you tried all three methods mentioned in the article?
If still facing issue then please sent your corrupt file at support(at)stellarinfo(dot)com. We will analyze the file and try to recover data as much as possible.

Thanks,

Aficio
May 3, 2016 10:44 am

Hello Amit,
How to determine is it corrupted or in different format?
The user can use the file previously but

May 6, 2016 10:56 am

Hi Aficio,

Above error message indicates that there is a issue in Excel file or the file has the wrong file extension.

To determine the exact reason, you should change the file extension. If your file is working fine after this change that means, the error was extension related otherwise your file has been corrupted.

You can repair your corrupt Excel file by mentioned methods in article.

rodel carl macasero
May 29, 2016 03:52 am

Hi Amit,
Tried everything. 1)in my folder option there is no tab of 'file type'
2) tried 'open and repair' - didnt work
3) option of changing .xlsx to .xls doesnt appear on right click
can you pls help?

May 31, 2016 10:01 am

Hello Rodel,

Please download demo version of our Excel repair software and scan your corrupt file where you want to recover data. Software will thoroughly scan the file and list all the recoverable data for preview.

Hope this helps. Do let us know your further query, if any.
Thanks,

Nauman
October 10, 2016 05:28 am

Hi Amit,

i have tried all three methods above. it still displays the same msg. This excel file has my important data which has been recovered from a faulty harddisk. All other files besides this one can open without any issues, except for this one important file.

Could you help me to solve this please?

i would highly appreciate your help.

October 14, 2016 02:55 am

Hi Nauman,
You can also try this method:
1. Make a copy of your file and Rename the file. Suppose your file name is test.xlsx then remove ‘.xlsx’ from it. You will get the warning message but, accept it.

2. After doing this, the document icon will turn white. It won’t look like Excel file.

3. Open a new blank Excel file. Go to Open and navigate to the renamed document and open it.

Good Luck!

Khushbu
November 5, 2016 06:17 am

I have recovered data from a laptop using Stellar Phonix WDR 6 tech. lic .
In that recovery there are 359 files in XLXS folder, but all these files showing the common error,
I tried all 3 options & this excel repair also unable to show preview.
Iwould highly appreciate your help.

November 8, 2016 06:41 am

Hi Khushbu,

Can you please share some file for review purpose? It looks your file is severely corrupted. You can sent the file at support(at)stellarinfo(dot)com or you can also contact our support team directly: https://www.stellarinfo.com/support/

Thanks,

Srinivasan
February 10, 2017 11:30 am

excel canot open the file beccause the file format or file extension is not vaild. verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file -how to recover the file

February 13, 2017 03:54 am

Hello Srinivasan,

To fix this error, try the mentioned methods in the KB. If these methods are not working then, you should change the location of your file and rename it. Now repeat the repairing process of the KB.

Rahul
February 28, 2017 06:14 am

Hello Amit,
My name is Rahul. I need a favor.
My one of the partition becomes unformatted. Then I recovered all the files from that partition. I have saved the backup in external hard disk. All the files were opening and working properly. After takingg backup, I formatted the lost partition (E drive). After formatting E drive, I am trying to open excel files for work, but none of the files are opening. I am getting a message every time (The File you are trying to open is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file.

Please tell me how i can resolve this issue.

Rahul Jain

March 1, 2017 10:59 am

Hello Rahul,

To fix this problem, you need to modify the registry. Follow these steps:

1. Close MS Excel.
2. Press Windows+R and type regedit to open registry. You need admin right to perform any action on the registry.
3. Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Office//Excel/Security.
4. Go to Edit tab, under New, select DWORD Value.
5. Type ExtensionHardening and hit Enter key.
6. Now right click on ExtensionHardening and select Modify… option.
7. In Value data box, type 0 (Zero) and click OK.
8. Go to File and select Exit option exit from the registry.
9. Now open your Excel file.

I hope it will work for you.

Good Luck!​

RAJESH KUMAR JAIPUR
March 22, 2017 07:46 am

Excel Filess Cannot Open the our impotant files Becase coming the error reason for the file format or file extension is not valid

March 24, 2017 03:12 am

Hello Rajesh,

Did you try all the methods of this article?

Rich O'Reilly
March 24, 2017 01:18 pm

Amit,

I tried all of the methods above, and i still cannot open my corrupt excel file. I downloaded the repair program, and it says "This is not a valid xlsx file". Is there anything else I can do?

March 28, 2017 02:53 am

Hello Rich,

Please try to change trust center setting. To do so, follow these steps:

1. ​Open MS Excel and go to 'File' and select 'Options'.
2. Select 'Trust Center' and click on 'Trust Center Settings' button.
3. Click 'Protected View'.
4. Uncheck all three options and click 'OK'.
5. Now try to open that file again.

If this solution won't work then, send the corrupt file for analysis at amit[dot]paney​[at]stellarinfo[dot]com.

Good Luck!

Dan L
April 24, 2017 04:38 pm

I tried all the options listed previously, but still have the same error, "...file extension not valid." Can I share this file with you to take a look? Thank you.

April 24, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi Dan,

Please confirm whether you have tried our demo version of Stellar Excel Repair software. If not, then follow the below link to download the demo of it:

Free download is use to scan and preview all recoverable Excel data and whatever item will be shown by our software only those can be recoverable after purchasing the product.

Alan Fong
May 17, 2017 05:23 pm

I tried "Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair" to scan my corrupted excel file.

The result shown as "file is severely corrupted, cannot be previewed.

Is my excel still recoverable? Can i share my excel with you to take a look? Thank you.

Alan Fong
May 17, 2017 05:29 pm

I tried "Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair" to scan my corrupted excel file, but the scan result shown as "file is severely corrupted, cannot be previewed."

Is my excel file still recoverable? Can i share my file with you to take a look? Thank You.

May 17, 2017 07:46 pm

Thank you for submitting your query.

Software works on "what you see is what you can recover". That means the file will be repaired in the same manner as you are able to see them in the preview window after the scanning is complete. However as you are getting message i.e. File is severely corrupted and can not be previewed, in this case file is severely damaged and it can not be repaired.

If you want us to analyze the file then there would be analysis charges to check the possibility of repair.

Kartik

Kc
July 10, 2017 03:36 pm

I tired all the following methods but it does not work.
When using the stellar data program, it will stop working halfway scanning. Is it possible for me to send you the excel and you can see if it is recoverable

Caroline
July 15, 2017 11:31 pm

i have excel file i cant repair. tried every advice from google. can you help me please.

Stellar Phoenix & Stellar Data Recovery are Registered Trademarks of Stellar Information Technology Pvt. Ltd.
© Copyright 2017 Stellar Information Technology Pvt. Ltd. All Trademarks Acknowledged.