The Exchange server database contains emails, contacts, calendar items, journal etc of exchange account users. This data is stored in files with the extension EDB. As with any other files or database, EDB files are prone to corruption. When this happens, user access to data through Exchange accounts gets barred and they face error messages. In such a case, some help is needed to access the data in the corrupted EDB files. This help comes in the form of automated tools. Such tools can not only recover data from corrupted EDB files but also migrate all EDB data to PST data. Hence, users can access their Exchange server account data on their desktop/laptops through Outlook. A variety of EDB to PST migration tools is available online. One such great tool is the ExMerge Utility developed by Microsoft.
The ExMerge Utility basically provides merger of Exchange server mailboxes. It extracts data from mailboxes on one Exchange server and then merges it into mailboxes on another Exchange Server. It also performs the task of copying data from a source Exchange server file (EDB) into a PST file (MS Outlook archive file) and then merge the data in the PST file into mailboxes on the destination server. This ability to merge data among Exchange server mailboxes makes it a competent tool to consider for recovering from disasters like corruption.
Migrating EDB to PST
Following steps show how you can manually migrate data from EDB file to PST file using ExMerge:
1. If you do not already have the installer for ExMerge, download it from this link:
2. Install the utility by running it as administrator.
3. Run ExMerge and login to your Exchange server account with Exchange administrator rights.
4. You will see a window with the following options:
Select Extract or Import and then click on Next.
5. You will see a window with the following options:
Select Extract data from an Exchange Server mailbox and then click on Next.
6. You will see a window with the title Data Selection Criteria. This window has a number of tabs on it. Click the Import Procedure tab. Then select Archive data to target store and then click on OK.
7. You will see the Message Details tab on the same window. Fill in the required details and then click on OK.
8. Now you will see a window which lists all the mailboxes which are available on the server. Select the desired mailbox and then click on Next.
9. Next you will be asked to specify the target directory. Browse to where you want to store the migrated PST and then click on Next.
10. Finally you will witness the migration as it progresses. When the process completed, you will be prompted with a message. Click on the Finish button to exit the utility.
Limitations of ExMerge
Though the ExMerge Utility is a one step solution for migrating safely from EDB files to PST files, it has some limitations. Following are some of the points where ExMerge fails to impress:
If ExMerge fails to perform EDB to PST migration, and to overcome its limitations, try out Stellar EDB to PST Converter. This amazing software efficiently converts on-line as well as off-line EDB files to equivalent PST. It helps you extract all your important emails, contacts, attachments, sent items etc.