Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) is an advanced storage technology that combines two or more disks to provide fault tolerance, higher data security, and speedy read/write performance. There are multiple RAID levels - ranging from RAID 0 to RAID 10. Some RAID levels offer greater data redundancy than others. However, it is still possible to lose data from RAID drives.
Data recovery from RAID drives is a complex task. However, with the right RAID recovery tool in hand, you can easily and effortlessly recover the data from RAID drives. With many RAID recovery software available in the market, it is difficult to decide which software is best suited for your needs. In this article, we’ve shared the best 6 RAID data recovery software, along with their features, pros and cons, to help you choose the one that suits your requirement.
Best 6 RAID Recovery Software
The best RAID data recovery software given below are shortlisted based on their ease-of-use, features, and functionalities.
Stellar Data Recovery Technician is a DIY (do-it-yourself) RAID data recovery software that uses advanced scanning algorithms to find and recover lost or deleted data from RAID drives. The software supports recovering all file types and formats from missing and inaccessible RAID volumes and Windows drives. It automatically matches the RAID patterns and detects the RAID parameters.
In addition, the software allows users to rebuild virtual RAID for data recovery from logically failed, broken, or corrupted RAID 0, RAID 5, and RAID 6 arrays. There is no need for a RAID controller to retrieve data from hardware and software-based RAID.
Moreover, the software possesses several useful features, such as ‘Disk Image’ for creating an image of hard drives with bad sectors for faster recovery, ‘Bootable Media Recovery’ for recovering files from non-booting or crashed Windows systems, ‘Disk Cloning’ for creating a replica of the entire hard drive for secure recovery, and ‘Photo/Video Repair’ for fixing corruption in photos and videos.
- Recovers data from RAID 0, 5, 6, and Nested RAID drives
- Supports recovery from RAID arrays, having FAT, exFAT, and NTFS file systems
- Efficiently detects critical RAID parameters and recovers data through virtual RAID construction
- Recovery from failed, broken, corrupt RAID 0, RAID 5, and RAID 6 NAS-based devices/servers
- ‘Can’t Find Drive’ feature available for data recovery from lost/deleted or inaccessible RAID volumes
- Supports all popular RAID controller cards from Adaptec®, LSI Logic®, Dell®, and more
- Supports recovery from hardware and software-based RAID without a controller
- No special assistance for RAID manufactures
- No support available for Linux systems
DiskInternals RAID Recovery is reliable software with manual and automated recovery options. The software comes with a simple UI. It reconstructs the RAID array from the given hard drives by dragging and dropping icons representing the drives. In addition, the software identifies all configurations of different arrays, such as RAID 0, 1, JBOD, RAID 5, and 0+1. It can recover data from hard drives whether they’re connected to a controller or RAID-enabled motherboard from Nvidia, VIA, or Intel.
The software also manually assembles RAID configurations using a drag-and-drop function. In addition, the software can recover different types of data, such as documents, pictures, and multimedia files even from lost partitions or drives with damaged file systems.
- Recovers data from software and hardware-based RAID
- Supports file recovery from Microsoft software RAID (Dynamic Disks), including JBOD (span), RAID 0, 1, and 5.
- It can mount virtual drives as local disks accessible by Windows Explorer etc.
- Detects the type of disk array and performs data recovery from RAID automatically
- Option to choose between automated and manual mode of operation
- The manual mode requires assembling RAID configurations using a drag-and-drop function instead of automatically matching the RAID patterns and detecting RAID parameters.
- No Bootable and Disk Image recovery options for secure RAID data recovery
- It runs only on the Windows system
R-Studio Technician is one of the most comprehensive data recovery solutions to restore data from drive partitions, disk drives, and virtual RAIDs.
The software contains a file viewer option to preview recoverable data. You can use this tool to retrieve data from damaged RAID setups. It also includes a SMART monitoring feature that helps detect potential HDD failure.
- Customized scan recovery option available
- Data pattern recognition and interpretation
- Data recovery from formatted, corrupted, or even lost partitions
- Automatically identifies RAID parameters and consistency
- File recovery support from all file systems and RAID drives
- No assurance of complete data recovery
- Quite complicated for non-technical users
- Scope for overwriting data if data recovery attempted to copy lost files to the same location/drive
Zero Assumption Recovery is another powerful data recovery software that can recover lost or deleted data from corrupted or crashed systems and storage drives. It also facilitates restoring files from lost or missing drive partitions, hard drives, memory cards, thumb drives, and RAID arrays.
The software has three recovery types: Image Recovery, Data Recovery for Windows & Linux, and RAID Recovery. This comprehensive data recovery tool can reconstruct the failed RAID arrays to restore data. Additionally, it allows you to restore data from even disk image files.
- File recovery support for thumb drives, hard disk drives, memory cards, and RAID arrays
- Reconstruct broken RAID 0, RAID 1+0, and RAID 5 drives virtually
- Specialized Image Recovery mode for image and video file recovery
- MBR damaged recovery
- Data recovery support for Windows and Linux systems
- Supports recovery from FAT, NTFS, ext2, ext3, and ext4 file systems
- Not available for Mac system
- Time-consuming scanning process for data recovery from faulty hard drives
Get Data Back is an advanced RAID data recovery tool offered by Runtime Software. The software supports various file formats and types to recover from RAID 0 and RAID 5 arrays. With customized scanning, the software can help you determine the correct values even if you don’t have the RAID parameters and help you reconstruct RAID for file recovery.
The software also allows you to copy the reconstructed RAID in an image file, virtual image, or a physical drive. Additionally, you can recover any file from non-functional, formatted, or re-partitioned hard drives. It also recovers data in case of accidental deletion and malware attacks.
- Supports recovery from RAID 0 and RAID 5
- Supports hardware and software RAID
- Recovers data from re-partitioned and formatted hard drives
- Read-only design with multiple scan levels
- Supports NTFS, FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32 file types
- Obsolete UI, which isn’t user-friendly
- Locating the right drive partition needs trial and error
- Not compatible with every Windows system
ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery is an easy-to-use RAID recovery software that lets you recover files and folders from different RAID arrays. The software can determine the RAID parameters for data recovery. It supports file recovery from RAID 0, RAID 0+1, RAID 1+0, RAID 1E, RAID 5, and RAID 6 drives.
The software uses advanced RAID construction algorithms to recover RAID data. In addition, the software lets you create the array image. It also works with both physical disks and disk image files.
- It lets you view the directory, files, folders, and more in the damaged disk
- Supports recovery from RAID 0, RAID 0+1, RAID 1+0, RAID 1E, RAID 5, and RAID 6 drives
- Supports NAS-based RAID devices/servers
- Recovers data from hardware and software RAID
- It doesn’t save the recoverable data for free
- Requires enough space on your hard disk or license of another data recovery software compatible with ReclaiMe Free RAID recovery software to save data
- No support available for Mac and Linux systems
Top 6 RAID Data Recovery Software: Quick Comparison
|Software||Hardware & software-based RAID Recovery||Lost or inaccessible RAID Volume Recovery||Bootable Media Recovery||Disk Image Recovery||OS Support||Price|
|Stellar Data Recovery Technician||✓||✓||✓||✓||Windows||$199|
|Disk Internals RAID Recovery||✓||✓||NA||NA||Windows||$249|
|R-Studio Technician||NA||✓||NA||NA||Windows, Mac, Linux||$674.25|
|Zero Assumption Recovery||✓||✓||NA||✓||Windows, Linux||$199.95|
|Get Data Back RAID Reconstructor||NA||NA||NA||✓||Windows||$99|
|ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery||✓||NA||NA||✓||Windows||FREE*
It needs an additional data recovery software to save data or enough disk space to copy recoverable data to it.
A. What are some common symptoms of RAID array failure?
There are a few common symptoms of RAID failure, including:
- Frequent Read/Write Errors
- RAID Partition Loss
- RAID Controller Errors
B. Which is the best RAID data recovery software?
Among all, Stellar Data Recovery Technician offers additional features, like Bootable Media Recovery, Disk Image recovery, data recovery from hardware and software-based RAID drives. All these features make it the best RAID data recovery software.
C. How to recover data from RAID 5 with two failed disk?
Recovering data from RAID 5 with two failed disk can be a little tricky. However, you can try the below methods:
- Recover data using Backup
- Restore files with Manual Method
- Use Powerful RAID data recovery tool
D. How to choose the right level for your RAID system?
Choosing the right level for RAID system requires multiple things to consider, including:
- Capacity needs
- Application performance needs
- Fault Resistance