Summary: In this guide, we discussed two methods to import OST into Exchange – by using MS Outlook and advanced third-party software. If you want to import an orphaned OST or mails from an active Outlook profile to different mailboxes on Exchange server, follow these methods based on your requirements.
OST or Offline Storage Table is an encrypted Outlook data file that can’t be imported into MS Exchange directly. However, you can import a PST or Personal Storage Table file, which is also an Outlook data file, into MS Exchange through Import/Export Wizard.
Thus, to import OST to Exchange, you need to either export the mailbox contents stored in the OST file to PST by using Outlook Import/Export wizard or convert the OST file to PST by using an OST to PST converter software. The OST to PST converter software can also help you directly import the OST to Live Exchange in a few clicks.
In this guide, we have discussed both methods to import the OST to Exchange in detail.
Methods to Import OST to Exchange
As mentioned, you must convert the OST file to PST to import the OST mailbox data into Exchange. Follow the below methods to either manually export the PST file from your Outlook account or use Stellar Converter for OST Technician to export the OST to PST or Live Exchange.
Method 1: Import OST into Exchange Manually
This method includes two steps. First, you need to export the OST data to PST via Outlook Import/Export Wizard and then import the PST into MS Exchange via Exchange Admin Center (EAC) or Exchange Management Shell (EMS).
Step 1: Export OST to PST via Outlook
NOTE: This works only when you can access your Outlook and email profile. If the OST is orphaned, i.e. not connected to a user profile or belongs to a deleted or inaccessible user profile, this method won’t work. In such a case, skip to the next method.
The steps are as follows,
- Open your Outlook account and navigate to File>Open & Export>Import/Export
- Choose Export to a file and click on Next
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next
- Select email folder or entire profile, click on Include Subfolders checkbox and click Next
- Click Browse to choose a location where you want to save the PST file
- Then check “Replace duplicate with items imported” and click Finish
- Enter a password (if you want), otherwise click OK
This will export the mailbox items stored in your Outlook OST file to PST.
Step 2: Import Outlook Data File in Exchange
Now you can import the PST into MS Exchange by following this guide on How to Import and Export Exchange Mailbox to PST.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You require permissions and Mailbox Import/Export role assigned to the user account to import the PST file into Exchange.
Method 2: Import OST into Exchange by Using Stellar Converter for OST
To avoid multiple steps and directly import an OST into Exchange, use Stellar Converter for OST Technician software. This software also lets you import an orphaned OST file into Exchange in a few clicks. Plus, you may also choose to convert and save the OST file to PST, MBOX, DBX, MSG, EML, HTML, CSV, RTF, and PDF formats or export to Office 365 and Outlook accounts.
The steps are as follows,
- Close MS Outlook and install Stellar Converter for OST Technician software
- Launch the software, click ‘Browse’ or ‘Find’ and select the OST file
- Click ‘Convert.’ After conversion, a message box appears, click ‘OK’
- Post conversion, you can preview all the OST mailbox items such as emails, contacts, calendar, notes, etc.
- Select only the mailbox items that you want to import into Exchange and click on ‘Save Converted File’ at the top-left
- From ‘Save As’ dialog box, choose ‘Export to Live Exchange Server’ and click ‘OK’
- Then enter the login and mailbox details of the Exchange server where you want to import the OST mailbox data. You can login with either:
- Administrator account of Domain: Admin Email, Admin Name, Password and Mailbox Email ID where you want to import the OST data.
- Domain User account: Your Outlook account credentials such as Email ID, Mailbox Name and Password.
- Click ‘OK’ to start the import process
Post import, you can log in to your Outlook account and access the imported OST mailbox data in your profile on the Exchange server where you imported the OST file.
OST file can’t be imported into Exchange directly, unless you use an advanced software such as Stellar Converter for OST-Technician. We discussed two methods in this guide to import OST into Exchange. The first method requires more time, efforts and additional permissions to migrate the OST to Exchange. However, the software helps you import OST into Exchange directly within a few clicks, including orphaned OST. It doesn’t require additional steps or permissions and roles to import the OST into Live Exchange.
Plus, it converts the OST file to PST and various other formats, such as MBOX, DBX, MSG, EML, HTML, CSV, RTF, and PDF. By using the software, you can also import the OST into Office 365 account or an existing Outlook profile. You can also convert multiple OST files to PST at once by using the batch conversion module in Stellar Converter for OST Technician. In addition, you can extract, compact, and save the attachments and PST files separately to keep PST size smaller and avoid corruption.