How to repair JPEG image file when it throws Unknown JPEG Format error while trying to open it?

Sometimes you encounter Unknown JPEG format error when you try to open a JPEG image file. For common people this error is just a loss of some memories but for a professional photographer or graphic designers this error may come with loss in their business as they lose the accessibility of some of their very crucial photos. However, the main reason of encountering this error message is damage or corruption of JPEG image file. Let us discuss the major causes behind the corruption of a JPEG image file:

Main causes of JPEG image file corruption:

Generation of bad sectors in the hard disk sometimes corrupts the stored JPEG files and you encounter the above mentioned error message when you try to open a JPEG image file
Virus infected storage media also corrupts JPEG image files and you become unable to access them
Corrupt or broken header of JPEG image file
Due to incomplete JPEG scan we also end up corrupting our valuable pictures
Using the digital camera even after it indicates low battery also corrupts the clicked JPEG images and thus, you encounter the above error message when you try to view these images

However, Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair software available to repair your corrupt jpeg file(s) which not only repair your corrupt JPEG files but also extract and repair their thumbnails if you want.

3 very easy steps to repair JPEG File(s) with Stellar Phoenix:

As shown in the above image add corrupt JPEG File(s) which you wants to repair.
Select the corrupted JPEG File(s)
Repair the selected JPEG/JPG image files by using Repair File(s) option. As soon as you select this option a screen which helps to see the preview the files before saving appears. Click Save button to save the repaired files in to the desired location.

That's it, now you can see your jpeg picture with its original form and quality.

For More Detail About the Software Visit Here:  http://www.stellarinfo.com/jpeg-repair.php

Category: JPEG Repair

Last updated on March 19, 2013 with 25960 views

John
October 10, 2011 04:33 pm

Got a few files on an SD card. It has now been running for over an hour. No screen appeared which helps to see the preview files before saving appears. Just the progress bar (green) and no indication of what is happening.

November 21, 2011 05:50 am

Hey Jhon,

Progress bar itself indicates that the software is scanning your SD card or hard drive, once scanning will complete, it will automatically shows your corrupted or deleted photos for preview, if you want to see the preview in the middle of the process, you can stop the scan process in between. Also if your SD card have lots of images in it, software takes more time to scan.

BTW which software you have been used to recover your photos, because in JPEG Repair Software their is no scanning process occurs, might be you have commented on different section of the knowledge base.

Please let me know if you have any other issues.

Al...
January 16, 2012 02:45 am

Have added 10 files to jpeg repair for testing. It looks like working, friendly interface, easy to use. But the files did not recover, show msg (important marker missing), have copy to linux, run on linux and cabum bum is fixed... Anyway thanks for an effort to create that software...

January 23, 2012 04:28 am

Hi Al..

If you send me one of the non repaired JPEG file, then only I can let you know the reason why our software not able to repair your files.

Thanks & Regards,

DONNA
February 29, 2012 05:34 am

Purchased Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery to try and recover photos on a SD memory card. I do not know what has happened to the SD card. I first put the SD card into my iMac and most of the pictures were visible but when I went to download them they were bright colors and the images could hardly be seen. I then tried using my camera as the card reader and hooked it put to my PC. Same issue. Some pictures were visible but when you clicked on them they became different bright colors and some with lines.

As stated above I purchased the Photo Recovery - it ran the scan and I could see my pictures. I was so excited and thought the recovery program worked. However when they were saved to the computer I had the same results as above. Hardly any of the picture images were viewable - only lines and bright colors where pictures once were.

Would appreciate any guidance you can give me.

cassiereroni
March 9, 2012 08:57 am

I downloaded the free Steller Phoenix Photo Recovery and have been trying to get it to work most of the night.

It starts and I can see 3 different jpgs that it found on the 3.5 floppy that I'm trying to get them from but between the 3rd and 4th jpg the program stops. I get the "Program Stopped Responding" error. Don't know how to fix this and can't seem to find a place, other than here, to post my problem.

I don't think this is the right area and I don't think I'll get an answer but I thought I had nothing to lose by trying.

cassiereroni

Jeff
March 24, 2012 06:05 pm

Hi there, I purchased the jpeg repair product to deal with a number of pictures that apparently had file errors and ended up getting the same message as Al above (Jan 16, "Important marker missing. File can't repair"). Can you advise on next steps?
Thanks!
Jeff

April 5, 2012 02:59 am

DONNA, The thumbnail information is correct but the area where data stored is corrupted. In scan results we show preview of files using thumbnail information. Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery recovers files irrespective they are corrupted or not. Suggest you to try Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair to repair files (only if Camera is saving files in JPEG format).

cassiereroni, We are always here to help you.
In your case, Create an image of the floppy and try recovery using image. There might be bad sectors in Floppy. In Image, there will be no bad sectors.

Thanks & Regards,

April 5, 2012 03:10 am

Hi Jeff,

In your case, markers which are required to start the repairing process are missing. Repairing is not possible in this case. :(

Thanks & Regards,

Jeff
April 6, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi Amit, if that's the case, can I get a refund on the product? Please also let me know by email and I will supply the invoice, etc.
Thanks.
Jeff

April 11, 2012 03:06 am

Hi Jeff,

You can contact to our Customer Support Team any time Monday to Friday via following channels:

Email : support@stellarinfo.com
Phone: +1-877-778-6087 (TOLL FREE)
Chat on Skype: http://www.stellarinfo.com/chat.htm

Hope it will help you...

Thanks & Regards,

reena
April 17, 2012 05:04 am

Hi Amit,

I am not able to save my recovered photos in laptop as its not showing any option to save, please can u help me in that.

Thanks & Regards
Reena

May 8, 2012 11:08 am

Hi Reena,

R u Using Licensed version of the software?

Daniel
May 21, 2012 09:24 pm

as i tried to repair a jpg file I got this message

" Maple0003.jpg Important marker missing. File can't repair "

What is the problem here and why does it miss a marker, ( what does that mean) ? please help.

May 23, 2012 08:26 am

Hi Daniel,

Markers which are required to start the repairing process are missing. Repairing is not possible in this case. :(

jim
July 7, 2012 12:32 pm

I tried six files, all which showed cray but their thumbnails were fine. It ran through it's process and files are still gray. It says it repaired them, but no error message. Does this make sense? Thanks - Jim

July 12, 2012 08:37 am

Hi Jim,

Could you please send the sample corrupt files to us, so we can see what exactly the problem with the files.
You can send us mail on amit.pandey[@]stellarinfo.com

Please remove the brackets([ ]) before sending.

King Mak
July 25, 2012 04:13 am

Hi Amit Pandey,

My JPEG header are corrupted that JPEG photos are opened in Windows.
Does the software promise to recover them?

Thanks a lot.
King Mak

July 30, 2012 03:38 am

Hi King Mak,

I advice you to first check your files with demo version of the software, if your JPEG files shown in the preview, you can 100% recover back your photos Guaranteed with the software.

Brad
August 22, 2012 01:11 pm

Is there a file size restriction with the free version of the Data Recovery Software?
Are there file size restrictions with any of the purchased versions?

Cheers
Brad

Jim
September 9, 2012 04:48 am

Good afternoon,
If a JPEG file cannot be repaired due the error "important marker missing" is that an impossible recovery?
I ask as I noticed in your comment to Al on Jan 23 you mentioned having him send you a copy of the photo which would not recover.
Please advise.

Thanks.

Ana
September 18, 2012 04:55 am

Hi! I have the same problem when trying to repair an image, a message Important marker missing. File can't repair, does it mean that the picture can not be repaired?

September 20, 2012 05:35 am

Hi Brad,

There is no file size restriction in demo or purchased version of the software.

September 20, 2012 06:31 am

Hi Jim, Ana;

Whenever you see software shows important marker missing message it mean your file can't be repair with the software. It is basically due to wrong header type information.

A "Invalid .jpg marker" means that the internal header of the file is showing as .jpeg, but the file extension showing something else... or, vice versa. And if you see your file extension with JPEG, then somehow internal header of the file got changed or damaged.

The basic solution of this problem is to change the file extension with .jpg or change the file header. Changing the file extension is quite ease just rename the file with .jpg extension but changing header information needs some editing tool like hex editor or something else. But it required enough experience to understand the header information and to operate a hex editor.

In some cases software repair thumbnails of the actual files because it might be saved at different location.In that case it is quit possible to see the thumbnails when the file is totally damaged.

Steven
September 26, 2012 04:43 am

what is exactly jpeg repair do.. i have some jpeg files which do not open..plz help should buy the product

October 9, 2012 06:02 am

HI Steven,

I advice you to try the demo version of the software first to make sure that software can repair your files or not. If you are able to see the preview of your pictures in demo version then surely you need buy the software, it will definitely repair your files.

Phanekim
October 30, 2012 01:23 pm

Amit,

I am getting the error message with the "important marker missing". Do you foresee future versions being able to solve this header problem.

mike

October 31, 2012 02:31 am

Yes Mike, We are working on it and next version will surely solve this header problem.

Phanekim
October 31, 2012 09:32 pm

Amit,

Cool! Thanks. I look forward to being a loyal customer of your company. Its saved around half my pictures. I am having problems with the other half with that "important marker missing" problem. I look forward to the new version.

What is the timeframe for the release of new version?

mike

Brad
November 13, 2012 02:28 am

Trying to repair ALOT of images (over 5000)

Went through the repair process, but the images that didnt error out ( "important marker missing") weren't fully repaired.

There is still a lot of the picture missing in the majority of the files. Anything I can do?

Milagros
December 22, 2012 01:58 am

I bought the program to get back my photos, I entered the user name and the key and it didn't work... what can I do?
Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks!

January 16, 2013 08:30 am

Hi Milagros,

Please contact the customer support team:

Email : support@stellarinfo.com
Phone: +1-877-778-6087 (TOLL FREE)
Chat on Skype: http://www.stellarinfo.com/chat.htm

They will surely help you...

John C
May 29, 2013 02:31 am

I downloaded the JPEG Repair trial software and, on testing with some corrupted JPGs, it showed images with the Stellar Software text that could not be saved to examine them. I purchased your S-P JPEG Repair activation key and ran the test again. The resulting images were not processed because of a problem with the source file. The thumbnails were processed properly, although these were not previously damaged!

Can I send you a sample for your appraisal and examination. All 7,000 of my [photos were affected by a virus and I really need to recover/repair most of them!

Thanks in advance

John C

May 30, 2013 05:50 am

Hi John,

Ya Sure.... please send me some.

AdiH
April 22, 2014 12:18 pm

I've tried your trial version to my curropted images and it says invalid files. Is it possible for me to send you one of the file so you can check whether it's recoverable?

If it can be recovered I will be delighted to buy this program.

Thanks.

Adi H

April 23, 2014 04:41 am

Hi AdiH,

We've already mentioned that this software couldn't repair or recover files with such error messages.

Thanks!!

dan
August 6, 2014 03:19 pm

have a problem buying your software "stellar phoenix jpeg repair", I don't have enough cash to buy, can I please have the honour to get to use your software to repair some of my corrupted photos that must be given to some orphanage when they had their anniversary.
can I get the activation key for it. It will be a pleasure, thanks

Ólafur
August 7, 2014 11:57 am

Hi.
When trying to open a jpg file I simply get Invalid Image. I downloaded your trial software and tried it on one file. It gave me "1 Invalid File(s) Found. Failed to repair." Do you have a suggestion what I should do?
Is there anything in the paid version that will do a better job?
Can I send you a couple of files to look at?
Best regards,
Ólafur

August 8, 2014 06:06 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for Writing!!

We can’t provide you the activation key of Stellar Phoenix JPEG repair software but we can help you.

Can you please provide the corrupted photos so that we can try to repair ourself. After repairing the photos, we will mailed you repaired photos.

You can mail your photos at following e-mail address:
amit(dot)pandey(at)stellarinfo(dot)com

Ólafur
August 8, 2014 02:47 pm

Hi.
Is there anything in the paid version that will do a better job?
Can I send you a couple of files to look at?
Best regards,
Ólafur

August 11, 2014 03:18 am

Hi Ólafur

Sorry to say that if you get 1 "Invalid File(s) Found. Failed to repair." in trial version then chance to repair the file in paid version is very less.

Yes, send me some of the files for review purpose.

You can mail your files at following e-mail address:

amit(dot)pandey(at)stellarinfo(dot)com