How to Play MKV files on Mac?
Summary: Are you unable to open or play MKV files on Mac? Don’t worry. This post shares the few best solutions to play MKV videos on Mac. It also shares how Stellar Repair for Video can repair corrupt videos that won’t play on a Mac system.
Matroska, popularly known as MKV file format, is commonly used for playing high-quality HD 720p or 1080p movies and videos. However, Mac users are not able to play MKV video files. The reason being Mac’s QuickTime Player doesn’t support MKV file format and its codecs.
To address the issue, here we share various methods to play MKV files on Mac:
- Use the QuickTime plugin to play MKV files on Mac
- Switch to another media player
- Play MKV files on Mac using Handbrake
How to play MKV files on Mac?
1. Use QuickTime Plugin to Play MKV files on Mac
Perian, a QuickTime plugin, can help play MKV video files on your Mac. Perian is a free, open-source plugin for QuickTime Player and is easy to install. It works automatically in QuickTime once it is set up on Mac. Unfortunately, Perian supports only QuickTime 7.6.6.
Note: Perian support and updates have been stopped by the developer. However, the plugin can still play MKV and other formats not supported by QuickTime Player.
You can download Perian from here. Once the plugin is downloaded and set up, restart your computer and then play MKV files.
Note: Although Perian plays MKV files in QuickTime, it’s slow to load files in the player.
Are you receiving an error while setting up Perian on Mac?
While setting up the plugin, if you receive the error — ‘Perian can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer’, temporarily disable the security blanket of Mac’s GateKeeper.
Steps to disable Gatekeeper on Mac:
- Go to Finder > Applications > Utilities to open Terminal.
- Type sudo spctl –master-disable and hit Enter.
- Enter your Administrator username and password, then press Enter again.
- Next, open System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Click on Security & Privacy.
- Go to ‘Allow apps downloaded from’ and click on Anywhere.
2. Switch to another Media Player
Since it takes time to load videos using Perian in QuickTime, an alternative media player is preferable to play MKV files on your Mac.
You can play MKV videos in other media players that support your macOS.
The best MKV Player for Mac is an open-source VLC Media Player. You can also try MPlayerX, Elmedia Player, 5K Player, XBMC Player, etc.
Steps to use VLC to play MKV videos:
- Free download VLC media player for Mac version from its official website.
- Next, go to Downloads, click and hold the VLC cone icon and drag it to the Application folder.
- Click Authenticate to start the installation process.
- You will then be prompted to enter the administrator username and password. Next, click Modify Settings.
- Then VLC Media Player will get installed on your Mac. Next, you can drag and drop an MKV file on VLC to play it.
3. Play MKV files on Mac Using Handbrake
Handbrake is an open-source application that converts MKV files to MP4 format. You can easily convert MKV files using Handbrake and play the converted video on QuickTime or another media player on Mac. The software supports Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms.
Follow these steps to see how to use Handbrake on Mac:
- First, to download Handbrake, visit here.
- Then install and launch the software on your Mac.
- In the home screen, click Open Source and select the MKV file you want to convert.
- Now, select MP4 or other Mac-supported formats as the output file. Next, adjust the duration, add filters, and edit the video and audio of the output file.
- Once done, choose the destination of the output file and click Start to initiate the conversion process.
Once the conversion of the file finishes, go to the destination folder and play the converted video in any media player on Mac.
Still unable to play MKV files on Mac? Your Video may be corrupt
When converting video format or switching to another media player doesn’t help, chances are your MKV video file is corrupt. Try to repair corrupt, distorted, or inaccessible MKV files using video repair software, such as Stellar Repair for Video.
This DIY software repairs corrupt videos that are not playing on any media player. The repair process is simple — Add a file, select ‘Repair’ and ‘Preview & Save.’ You can repair multiple videos at a time.
The MKV video repair software can fix corruption in the sound section, frames, header, etc. The software supports common video formats, such as MKV, MP4, MOV, HEVC, AVI, M4V, 3GP, F4V, and other file types used on iPad, iPhones, Android, Apple devices, digital cameras, etc.
Follow the below steps to repair MKV Files:
- Download and install Stellar Repair for Videos on your Mac system.
- Launch the software and on the home screen, click Add File to add corrupt or unplayable MKV files.
- Click Repair to start the repair process.
- Once the process completes, preview the repaired videos.
- Select the video and click Save Repaired Files at any desired location on Mac or external drive.
Now try playing the repaired video using any media player on the Mac system.
If you want to play MKV videos in QuickTime Player on Mac, install the Perian plugin. However, using another media player supported by Mac is recommended because the QuickTime plugin takes longer to download high-quality videos.
Another feasible way to convert the MKV file to another macOS-supported format is using Handbrake. If these solutions don’t work, check if your MKV video file is corrupted. You can use Stellar Repair for the video to fix corrupt MKV files and play them perfectly on Mac. This tool can deal with all kinds of video corruption issues, including compression issues, broken file headers, frame corruption, slider movement problem, etc.
1. How do I play MKV files on VLC Mac?
You need to install the latest version of VLC Media Player on your Mac and then try to play your MKV files. If it doesn’t work, check if the required plugin is installed.
2. How do I play MKV files on QuickTime Mac?
Install a plugin called Perian for QuickTime to play MKV files. Moreover, use different media player that supports MKV.
3. Can I convert MKV to MOV?
Yes, you can. Read this article to learn how to convert MKV to MOV files.
4. VLC is not playing the MKV file. What to do?
To fix VLC not playing MKV files, you can – use a different media player to open the file, change the Preferences in VLC settings or use MKV file repair software to repair the video.
5. How to Repair Corrupt MKV video files?
Use Stellar Repair for Video to repair a broken, corrupt, jerky, choppy, or truncated MKV video. Read More.
6. How to fix MKV No sound on Android Phones?
There can be many reasons why your downloaded MKV files may not have any sound while playing on an Android Phone because of unsupported or missing codec, file corruption, unwanted cache, cookies, etc. To fix this issue, you can go through this blog.