Accidentally formatted memory card while transferring photos to Mac! How to recover lost pictures? However, stopped using the card after accidental formatting.

Author : Creative Team Updated on November 28, 2017

Not using the memory card is always recommended after accidental formatting or accidental deletion of valuable photos. It is good and prudent decision that you have taken.To recover deleted pictures or photos from the formatted memory card, download  Stellar Phoenix Mac Photo Recovery Software.

This software will help you recover your photos lost due to accidental formatting of memory card or unintentional deletion of photos from the memory card, digital camera, or from hard disk of your computer. The software has easy recovery procedure and can easily be followed by people with less or no technical knowledge.

Photo Recovery photo recovery mac

Three Steps to Recover deleted data from Memory Card

Attach the memory card to your Mac. For best recovery, it is advised to attach the memory card of your digital camera through the card reader.

1. Start Stellar Phoenix Mac Photo Recovery Software and click Recover Photo, Audio & Video icon provided under the home menu. Now in the next interface, your memory card is shown as a separate drive. Select your memory card to start the scanning process. As soon as you select your memory card for its scanning, the Start Scan button will get active. Advanced users can recover the formatted photos by their photo file format.
  2. Click Start Scan.
  3. Now, the ongoing recovery process is indicated by a revolving Recover button with the simultaneous preview of the formatted photos of the memory card of your digital camera at the top right pane.  Hence, after the scanning of your formatted memory card, you can select all or some specific pictures for their recovery. Click Recover button to recover the selected photos. As soon as the pictures get recover, you will be prompted to save recovered photos at your desired location.

Hurray, you have recovered your lost digital media!!!

fabio
August 28, 2012 01:35 pm

I've followed the steps but unfortunately it doesn't work. Apparently, it created two copy of the same image, one pretty small (approx 10-15Kb) and the other with original dimension. the two files are jpeg, but with different names. Even if in quickview (Mac OS Snow Leopard) the larger file seems to be ok, when i try to open it with a photo software (picasa, or thru a browser or with Preview) the picture is opened with images not aligned, or with strange color strips or so... any idea to solve this? thanks

October 30, 2012 11:09 am

Hi Fabio,

You are facing this issue as the images are corrupted due to which you are seeing them as garbled or mixed picture .

Quick view shows the image correctly as it is showing the thumbnail image and not the actual full image.

In this case unfortunately you will only be able to recover thumbnail image , the small sized picture.

Alternatively you can try our Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair which can help in repairing corrupted images

Andrew
May 30, 2013 02:20 am

I used the software to recover video off my Canon 60D that I accidentally formatted. The software was able to recover my video files and then I saved them to my computer. But when I try to view them on my computer, a message pops up saying my .mov files are not movie files and it won't let me play them.
Is there a way for me to recover my video files to be just like the originals?
Thank you.

June 5, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Andrew,

The software has done its job by successfully recovering the video file which was formatted. Now there are few reasons why the file is not playing. After formatting the media, the location of the mov file might have been overwritten loosing important file components that are required to support the file to play correctly on a meida player. Secondly, the file may be located on a bad sector of the hard drive which might have tampered the file. You need to repair this mov file, I suggest you to try the demo version of Stellar Phoenix MOV repair. Load & scan the file to this repair tool and check if you are able to run its correct preview.

Mike
September 7, 2013 06:45 pm

Hello my wife accidentally deleted all the photo's off her camera's microSD card.

Ran the preview version it showed all the files and was able to view (in photo recovery) all the photos.

So tried to recover, hard to buy, (bought pro version) re-ran, and once again it sees all 250 files. Tell it to recover, pic director and it restores about 150MB of files, but every single one says it is not a valid, Jpeg, m4a, etc (depending on folder).

So at this point out looking for another company's software as yours does not seem to work!

September 11, 2013 04:14 am

Dear Mike,

Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery is a recovery software that restores files, even corrupted files that were deleted/formatted. Many file faces corruption immediate after trashing or formatting. The recovery tool analyses each block of hard drive for deleted file information and restores accordingly. So, it will recover both healthy & unhealthy files.

Jess
February 11, 2014 03:59 pm

I am trying to recover some photos that I accidentally deleted from my Canon T3i. Do I have to have a card reader to recover the files? I tried hooking the camera up with the USB - how I normally download my pictures. But I don't see where that shows up as an external drive. My only option to scan is my hard drive.

February 12, 2014 04:14 am

Hi Jess,

Yes, we recommend you to use a card-reader so that software can read the memory card as a drive. You can also try plugging the card into your Mac, if it's a standard memory card. But a card reader should definitely work.

Do let us know if you have any further query!!!