Summary: Learn about reasons behind “Outlook stuck at loading profile” issue in Outlook versions 2019, 2016, 2013 and 2010. Also, find some troubleshooting steps to fix the issue, and check out how an Outlook repair software can help.
Imagine a scenario when without receiving any error or message notification, you find Outlook stuck on processing, loading profile screen. The error may look similar to:
There are several reasons that may cause ‘Outlook stuck on loading profile’ error.
Possible Causes Behind the Error
- Processes (such as Outlook.exe and others) still running in the background.
- Programs such as add-ins, VPN software, Lync (or Skype for Business), etc. may be interfering with Outlook.
- The hardware graphics acceleration option in the Outlook Options dialog is not disabled.
- Issue with desktop theme after installation of Office 2013 SP1 upgrade on Windows 7.
- Outlook data file (.pst) is corrupt.
How do I Fix ‘Outlook Stuck on Loading Profile’ Error?
NOTE: Wait for some time and see if the problem is resolved. If not, make sure to install latest Windows and Office updates. If the problem still persists, troubleshoot it by using the solutions given below.
Here’s a list of do-it-yourself (DIY) steps that you can follow to resolve the Outlook loading profile error:
Step 1: End Processes in Task Manager and Disable Outlook Presence Feature
Microsoft recommends ending processes running in the background from the Task Manager, and disabling the ‘Outlook Presence feature’ to fix the error. Here’s how you can do it:
Steps to end processes in Task Manager
NOTE: Outlook.exe, SearchProtocolHost.exe, Lync and Skype for Business, Copernic, WinPcap, etc. are some processes you should kill in the Task Manager.
- Open Task Manager.
- Under the Processes tab, locate all Office processes.
- Select an Office process and then choose End task. Repeat this for each Office process listed.
Now check if you can open Outlook, if yes, follow these steps to disable Outlook presence feature:
- In Outlook, choose File > Options > People
- In Outlook Options window, uncheck the checkboxes with following options if they are enabled:
- Display online status next to name
- Show user photographs when available
- Click OK, and then restart Outlook.
NOTE: If you’re still experiencing “Outlook won’t open, stuck at loading profile issue”, try stopping the dwm.exe process twice, and then try opening Outlook.
If you find Outlook stuck on loading profile even in safe mode, proceed with the following step.
Step 2: Try to open Outlook in Safe Mode and Disable Add-ins
Outlook may freeze or hang at loading screen due to faulty add-ins. To start Outlook in safe mode and disable add-ins, follow these steps:
- Type “Windows” and “R” keys together.
- Type “Outlook /safe” in the Run window, and select OK.
3. The Choose Profile dialog box is displayed. Accept the default Outlook settings and choose OK.
- If prompted, enter password, and then click OK.
If you can open Outlook in safe mode, try disabling add-ins (one-by-one) and check if it resolves the issue. The steps to disable add-ins are listed below:
- Open Outlook and select File.
- Click Options > Add-ins.
- Under Manage, select COM Add-ins.
- Click Go.
- Choose add-ins you want to disable, and click OK.
- Exit Outlook and open it again.
NOTE: Try disabling programs like VPN (such as SonicWall VPN), or any suspicious program and see if it fixes the error.
If the problem still persists, proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Create New Outlook Profile
If the above step doesn’t work, then creating a new Outlook profile may help resolve the error. Refer this link to know the process of creating a new profile in Outlook.
Step 4: Disable Hardware Acceleration
Many Outlook users reported that disabling hardware acceleration helped them fix the issue. To do so, follow these steps:
- Type regedit in search bar
2. In Registry Editor window, browse: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common
- Create a new key, by clicking Edit > New > Key.
- Name the key as “Graphics”.
- Select Graphics, and right-click on the right panel. Select New, and then choose DWORD (32-bit) Value.
4. Name the DWORD (32-bit) Value as DisableHardwareAcceleration, double-click on it.
In the window that appears, change Value Data to ‘1’.
Once you’ve executed the above steps, try to open Outlook and see if the issue is resolved.
Step 5: Change Aero Theme to Basic Theme
NOTE: This step worked for Windows 7 Outlook users.
Windows 7 users have resolved the ‘Outlook profile not loading’ problem by changing Aero theme to Windows 7 Basic theme. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click the Windows start icon, and type aero.
- A list will open. Click the change the theme option.
- Select Windows 7 basic theme.
Step 6: Run CHKDSK Command
Many Windows 8 users were able to fix the Outlook loading profile error by running CHKDSK command. Following the given steps:
NOTE: You will need administrator privileges or permission to run chkdsk command.
- Hold ‘Windows Key’ +’ X’ together.
- From the Menu, choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type chkdsk c: /f, and press ENTER.
- Answer (Y), and restart Windows.
What if Nothing Works?
If none of the steps have helped fix the issue ‘Outlook stuck on loading profile’ in Outlook 2019 and other versions, it is likely that your Outlook data file (.pst) is corrupt. Use Microsoft’s built-in ‘ScanPST.exe’ utility to repair the .pst file. If the ScanPST.exe tool diagnoses corruption errors in the file, but fails to fix them, use Stellar Repair for Outlook software to fix the corrupt PST file and recover its data.
Read this: Download Free ScanPST.exe to Repair Corrupt PST
Why Use Stellar Repair for Outlook?
PST Recovery software helps repair severely corrupt PST file,without any manual intervention and data loss. Once you have downloaded, installed and launched the software, it helps fix the .pst file in three steps:
Step 1: Select corrupt PST file.
Step 2: Repair corrupt PST file.
Step 3: Preview and save the repaired file.
Hopefully the troubleshooting steps covered in this post will help you resolve Outlook stuck at loading profile error. These steps include:
· End Processes in Task Manager and Disable Outlook Presence Feature
· Try to open Outlook in Safe Mode and Disable Add-ins
· Create New Outlook Profile
· Change Aero Theme to Basic Theme
· Run CHKDSK Command
All the manual solutions work impressively up to a certain extent, but you may face these challenges:
- The steps won’t work in case of PST file corruption.
- Implementing different steps to fix the error can be tedious and time-consuming.
- Require technical know-how.
- Involve data loss risk.
You can overcome these challenges by using Stellar Repair for Outlook software. The Outlook recovery software can help repair PST file in three simple steps, without technical assistance and data loss risk. Also, repairing the .pst file may help fix Outlook stuck at loading profile error.